[systemd-devel] Get rid of /etc/fstab

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Sun Feb 3 08:33:14 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com> wrote:
> В Sat, 2 Feb 2013 15:24:44 +0100
> Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> пишет:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Looking forward to mount custom partitions I decided to use unit.mount
>> files to define my new fs. Everything works perfectly, so I tried to
>> do the same with all my mounted filesystems and removing /etc/fstab.
>>
>> But unfortunatly, creating a -.mount file in
>> /etc/systemd/system/local-fs.target.wants not work as I expected. I
>> guess it's because generated file /run/systemd/generator/-.mount take
>> precedence.
>>
>> Is there any way of removing old fstab to full unit configuration?
>>

> One immediate question - do you use initrd? Does mkinitrd (or whatever
> is used by your distro) still correctly recognize root mount options in
> this case?

I make my tests on Archlinux and I use mkinitcpio[1] as initrd maker.
In my case root mount options are provided by refind and initrc stuff
read them from environment from the kernel and /proc/cmdline.

So if I remove fstab and I put something like :
linux root=UUID:42 rw rootflags=noatime

# mount -t btrfs
/dev/sda2 on / type btrfs (rw,noatime,nospace_cache)

[1] https://projects.archlinux.org/mkinitcpio.git/

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://www.seblu.net