[systemd-devel] systemd-fsck change fsck arguments to "-a" -> "-y"

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Fri Feb 8 03:21:30 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Kok, Auke-jan H at 08/02/13 08:04 did gyre and gimble:
>> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Lennart Poettering
>> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:

>>> Every sane distro patches the timestamp check nonsense out of
>>> e2fsck. Assuming the RTC was always correct is just so misguided, it
>>> hurts...
>>
>> ACK, sadly, I've applied this patch too several times...
>
> By "patches" here I think all we did was ship a /etc/e2fsck.conf with:
>
> [options]
> # This will prevent e2fsck from stopping boot just because the clock is
> wrong
> broken_system_clock = 1
>
> in it. I don't think there is much else needed (please correct me if I'm
> wrong!).

Right. Don't forget to put it into the initramfs, if needed.

The whole thing is still a pointless and broken feature. It's the
wrong default, if the feature is ever useful for anybody.

There are systems without any clock, and a file system checker to make
assumptions about the system time, makes zero sense; setups without a
clock are just fine.

Well, there will be btrfs ... :)

Kay