[systemd-devel] systemd-nspawn and Debian

Jake Edge jake at lwn.net
Fri Feb 8 12:00:29 PST 2013

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 20:24:55 +0100 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 08.02.13 09:54, Jake Edge (jake at lwn.net) wrote:
>

> > so, i'm trying to follow along with systemd for admins part 6 and
> > hitting the following problem on Fedora 18 (audit=0, fwiw):
> >
> > # debootstrap --arch=amd64 unstable debian/
> > (needed to put /sbin in my path in order for debootstrap to work,
> > btw)
> >
> > # systemd-nspawn -D debian/ /sbin/init
> > Spawning namespace container on /srv/debian (console
> > is /dev/pts/18). INIT: version 2.88 booting
> > INIT: No inittab file found
>
> Hmm, an empty inittab? That sounds as if something is broken with your
> debootstrap install? Did you check if inittab exists?

yes, so it would seem ... there is no inittab ... i guess either
debootstrap for Fedora is broken, or the Debian repo is ... or I didn't
invoke it right! :)  I'll see if I can figure that out ...

> What I did is this: I installed Debian unstable into a directory with
> debootstrap, then installed Debian's systemd .deb into it and then
> manually built systemd git in it and simply install it into the
> container's /usr. That works pretty well, and gets me an equally clean
> boot as stock Fedora does.

Install the systemd .deb ... then a 'make install' from the systemd git
that points at the container /usr ?  seems reasonable ... but first to
see what's up with inittab ...

jake

--
Jake Edge - LWN - jake at lwn.net - http://lwn.net