[systemd-devel] network/openvswitch dependency loop/deadlock

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Feb 10 05:14:25 PST 2013

'Twas brillig, and Ian Pilcher at 08/02/13 21:00 did gyre and gimble:
> On 02/07/2013 06:13 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Also re the initscripts tweaks and the if statement proposed in the bug,
>> there is a SYSTEMCTL_IGNORE_DEPENDENCIES=1 env var you can export that
>> will make "service openvswitch start" pass the --ignore-dependencies
>> argument if it redirects to systemctl. That's likely cleaner than the if
>> [ -x /usr/bin/systemctl ] check.
>
> FYI, I just tried this on Fedora 18, and it didn't work.  It looks like
> the version of systemctl in F18 may not recognize that variable:
>
>   $ strings /usr/bin/systemctl  | grep SYSTEMCTL_IGNORE_DEPENDENCIES
>   $
>
> Oh well.

This isn't something built into systemctl itself, but rather in the
"/usr/bin/service" wrapper and in initscripts functions generally:

e.g. in the "initscripts" git: git://git.fedorahosted.org/initscripts.git

[colin at jimmy initscripts (master)]$ git grep SYSTEMCTL_IGNORE_DEPENDENCIES
initscripts.spec:- /sbin/service: honor SYSTEMCTL_IGNORE_DEPENDENCIES
(<lennart at poettering.net>)
rc.d/init.d/functions:        if [ -n "$SYSTEMCTL_IGNORE_DEPENDENCIES" ]
; then
service:       export SYSTEMCTL_IGNORE_DEPENDENCIES=1
service:   env -i PATH="$PATH" TERM="$TERM"
SYSTEMCTL_IGNORE_DEPENDENCIES=${SYSTEMCTL_IGNORE_DEPENDENCIES}
SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT=${SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT} "${SERVICEDIR}/${SERVICE
service:   env -i PATH="$PATH" TERM="$TERM"
SYSTEMCTL_IGNORE_DEPENDENCIES=${SYSTEMCTL_IGNORE_DEPENDENCIES}
SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT=${SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT} "${ACTIONDIR}/${SERVICE}

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie