[systemd-devel] bootchart: tabs to spaces?

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Tue Feb 12 03:52:38 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh at inai.de> wrote:
> On Thursday 2013-01-10 12:35, Kay Sievers wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Alessandro Delgado
>><adelgado1313 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I like tabs better.
>>>
>>> Though the question should answer itself looking at the involving
>>> environment codebase. Consistency is what matters.
>>
>>Tabs would make sense if we would use them strictly for indentation
>>and never for any kind of alignment. Then people could switch to any
>>number of tab width, and all would still look fine. That actually
>>would be a nice feature in theory.
>
> Glad you too see the benefit of not overloading tab.
>
>>But that's really not what people, or the "kernel-style" do with tabs,
>>they mix everything, it works only with 8 spaces tabs
>
> Since it is currently wishful thinking to expect this in the kernel,
> here is your chance to "Do The Right Thing(tm)" in systemd, since it
> is not subject to kernel doctrine.

I just don't care a single bit. :)

It was just an explanation why tabs used in the style of the kernel
are useless idea. And if people want tabs, they should use them as
indent only, not as a broken random whitespace mix. I think, it makes
zero sense what's done with tabs in the kernel.

But hey, I just don't want any tabs anymore, and don't care about
undefined tab with as a feature. So all is totally fine with spaces
only in systemd. We have more important stuff to care about. :)

Kay