[systemd-devel] How do you set the machine's domain name with systemd?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 13 11:12:45 PST 2013

On Wed, 13.02.13 10:23, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:

> >> Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to work:
> >>
> >> $ hostnamectl set-hostname korath.my.domain.com
> >
> > So, we currently clean up names here a bit too drastically
>
> you are making a big mistake here
> if you think the input is wrong stop with a error message
> but do NOT write different things as the users input in config files
>
> this is a very bad style which became visible with this bug

Well, it's not as simple as it might appear. "hostnamectl set-hostname"
actually sets the pretty hostname (and should do that unaltered), then
strips all the weird chars and sets the result as the unix hostname. You
should always have the pretty hostname in place.

The idea is that "Lennart's PC" as pretty hostname becomes "lennarts-pc"
as Unix hostname.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.