[systemd-devel] High CPU usage of journald

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Mon Feb 18 00:00:37 PST 2013

Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez <at> opensuse.org> writes:

Good Morning Cristian,

> Why should systemd stop using standard IO functions to please some
> obscure, out of the ordinary need?

Could you please clarify obscure? So any embedded device that prints
a couple of log messages on start of an application is obscure in your
opinion? It is obvious from the perf output I posted that journald's
performance is determined by the malloc operations. If the maintainers
think that the main purpose of journald is to allocate memory then I am
happy to continue to use the busybox syslogd.

> If libc behaves in a way you dont like or want, you will have to send
> your complains to libc developers..

Well, there are various things a libc implementation needs to do that
should not matter to systemd (e.g. thread safety, io cancellation,
re-entrancy, locking, ...). From the backtraces I posted only a fraction
of the allocations are coming from libc.