[systemd-devel] CoreOS Goal Question: Should we be aiming to be able to boot with an empty /etc?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 7 03:48:40 PST 2013

Hi,

Just thinking outload here as dealing with some packages where stuff in
/etc was marked in the spec as %config and it really shouldn't be (I'm
thinking dbus policy files and rootcerts mainly but there are do doubt
countless other examples where this is true also).

I was thinking, is it a general stated aim that we should be able to
boot with an empty /etc? I know this isn't true today, but with
appropriate effort is that where we should be aiming?

I guess the same should be true of /var too probably (i.e. packages
should be able to cope with initing themselves on first use and not rely
on doing it at package install).

Cheers

Col

--