[systemd-devel] systemd-analyze-197 broken

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jan 14 16:43:52 PST 2013

Am 15.01.2013 01:34, schrieb Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:
> It doesn't. Graphical libraries are loaded only when used.
>
> Of course systemd-analyze is _packaged_ as dependent on graphical
> libraries, because the split to save a few megabytes on a server
> installation is not worth the maintainer's (or admin's) time.

what developers often not see are cross-deps

yum remove lib1
package-cleanup --leavses --all
oh: "yum remove lib2 lib3 lib4" possible now
package-cleanup --leavses --all
oh: "yum remove lib5 lib6 lib7 lib8" is possible now
sometimes you can do this circle multiple times

honestyl i have often seen such cross-deps freeing up
around 100 MB, on a virtual infrastructure multiplied
with 30 we are at 300 MB and additionally the benefit
besides only the storage is:

* much faster dist-upgrades on all machines
* less troubles with fighting dependencies

that said, in the last few years i freed up 25% on any of
my servers by look critical what is really isntalled, remove
anything unneeded and remove any cross-dependencie

the difference finally is 3-5 minutes for a complete fedora
dist-upgrade and last but not least you reduce the potentially
exploitable code on your machines - the last years showed that
sooner or later nearly anything got exploitable