[systemd-devel] SSL for gatewayd

Holger Winkelmann hw at travelping.com
Wed Jan 16 13:48:29 PST 2013

On Jan 16, 2013, at 9:55 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 09:33:22PM +0100, Holger Winkelmann wrote:
>> Can't speak from person experience, but my team has worked with the libevent and
>> libev libraries which contain http libraries as well.
> IIUC, libev uses libevent code for HTTP through a compatibility
> layer. libevent has only very basic functionality. E.g. I couldn't
> see a mention of POST requests anywhere. libmicrohttpd at least
> abstracts this to the point where I only have to provide a callback
> to consume buffers with data.
>
> Also, libevent/libev are about abstracting event loops. Since journald
> is linux only, this extra abstraction layer is not very useful.
>
>> libevent http library is linked to openssl.
> Are you saying that openssl is better?

I just expect that OPenSSL is a given dependency for most of the Distributions already.
But we are coming from embedded background, so either we choose a very small SSL Library
(thats where the idea about TropicSSL is coming from) or we should avoid many SSL libraries
and sat with the most common but big one OpenSSL

Don't really know whats better or not…

--
Holger Winkelmann
Managing Director

email: hw at travelping.com
phone: +49-391-819099-223
mobil: +49-171-5594745 (DE)

------------------ managed broadband access ------------------

Travelping GmbH               phone:           +49-391-8190990
Roentgenstr. 13               fax:           +49-391-819099299
D-39108 Magdeburg             email:       info at travelping.com
GERMANY                       web:   http://www.travelping.com

Company Registration: Amtsgericht Stendal Reg No.:   HRB 10578
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Holger Winkelmann | VAT ID No.: DE236673780