[systemd-devel] journal and /run/systemd/journal/syslog

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 8 16:58:42 PDT 2013

On Sun, 07.07.13 19:18, Umut Tezduyar (umut at tezduyar.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have noticed that if journal fails to send messages to
> /run/systemd/journal/syslog, it increments a counter and every 30
> seconds it prints out a message on journal informing that forwarding x
> many messages has failed. If journal storage is set to none, there is
> no way of being informed about the missing messages. Should we not try
> to send a message to /run/systemd/journal/syslog if/when it has space
> again?

Yes, sounds sensible. Added to the TODO list.

> syslog.socket sets ReceiveBuffer=8M. My understanding is intention of
> setting this value is specifying the maximum size of one datagram
> message that is allowed to send. socket.c is setting the SO_RCVBUF on
> the socket. According to man unix 7, SO_RCVBUF has no effect on the
> datagram but SO_SNDBUF does. Am I missing something?

Oh, hm, this sucks. I wasn't aware of this. I always assumed SO_RCVBUF
and SO_SNDBUF would both alter the same buffer, just from differente
"sides".

> Number of messages that can be queued on /run/systemd/journal/syslog
> is controlled by /proc/sys/net/unix/max_dgram_qlen and this value is
> by default 10 in most distributions. What this means is, after journal
> forwards 11 messages to the socket, it will not be able to do so until
> external logging daemon comes up and clears up
> /run/systemd/journal/syslog. If logging daemon is starting after
> basic.target, it is pretty certain that it will not be able to receive
> all the early boot messages. Increasing
> /proc/sys/net/unix/max_dgram_qlen is an option but is increasing a
> system wide limit right thing to do?

Yeah, this is a big issue. For a long time there has been an item on the
kernel wishlist to get an ioctl for setting the qlen per-socket. The
code for that should actually be simple.

We though about just bumping this globally via sysctl, but we feared
that might not sit well with some folks, as we shouldn't change a global
setting just because one user of it would benefit, especially given that
we don't know the effect this might have on others...

The better approach really appeared to us to be fixing the kernel
properly instead, and get that new ioctl.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.