[systemd-devel] Help getting serial console working again after upgrade to systemd?

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Thu Jul 11 03:41:26 PDT 2013

It was <2013-07-10 śro 20:26>, when Dmt Ops wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm starting upgrades to old production servers to newer 64-bit Linux that
> runs systemd >= v195.
>
> Serial consoles are always my 1st step.  Before upgrade it worked great.
>
> After upgrade, with the new systemd-based config, I'm not having much luck
> so far.
>
> I configured the grub conf:
>
> serial --unit=0 --speed=57600 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
> terminal --timeout=3 serial console
> title PRODUCTION
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sd1a noresume showopts x11failsafe vga=0x31a
> console=tty0 console=com1,vga
>  initrd /initrd

According to kernel-parameters.txt[1] (it's for 3.10 but I assume there
hasn't been any changes in this area for quite some time) you have to
use ttyS0 instead of com1. Neither serial-console.txt[2] mentions
com[1-4] to be a proper name for a serial port.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt?id=v3.10#n560
[2] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/serial-console.txt?id=v3.10
--
Łukasz Stelmach