[systemd-devel] journal and /run/systemd/journal/syslog

Umut Tezduyar umut at tezduyar.com
Fri Jul 12 00:15:52 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 10.07.13 12:30, Umut Tezduyar (umut at tezduyar.com) wrote:
>
>> > We though about just bumping this globally via sysctl, but we feared
>> > that might not sit well with some folks, as we shouldn't change a global
>> > setting just because one user of it would benefit, especially given that
>> > we don't know the effect this might have on others...
>>
>> I want to go this route and I think it is not possible at the moment
>> due to undetermined start order between syslog.socket and
>> systemd-sysctl.service. Can we change that?
>
> Hmm, are you saying that changing the sysctl value too late will have no
> effect on the sockets that already exist at that time?

That is correct. Limit is applied to the socket when it is created
(sk->sk_max_ack_backlog  = net->unx.sysctl_max_dgram_qlen;).

> You could do this on your system:
>
> # mkdir /etc/systemd/system/syslog.socket.d/
> # echo "[Unit]
> After=systemd-sysctl.service" > /etc/systemd/system/syslog.socket.d/after-sysctl.conf
>
> Then, make the sysctl setting, and things should work?
>
> Lennart

I believe using dropin services should work as well as handling this
in linuxrc or ramfs. I was more after an upstream solution then per
user solution but since we are all on the same page regarding the
kernel fix for per socket limit, I guess I need to solve it in my
application. Thanks for the help.
Umut