[systemd-devel] fstab Mounts Not Getting Waken Up

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jul 12 09:32:17 PDT 2013

On Fri, 12.07.13 09:18, CACook at Quantum-Sci.com (CACook at Quantum-Sci.com) wrote:

> >>Reindl, thank goodness you're listening.  Have you by chance, tried this
> >>with auto, to see whether it automounts on wake from suspend?
> >
> >systemd doesn't unmount the fs on suspend, why should it mount it on resume?
> >
> >Maybe you are mixing up what "auto" means.
>
> Why is everyone so uptight here?
>
> No, I am not mixing up what "auto" means.  Auto is supposed to mean
> that it --mounts automatically--, period, like the word says.  But
> it does not, as you can see.

No. "auto" means, mount automatically at boot. It's not about resume or
anything like that.

See fstab(5), where "noauto" is explained:

    noauto     do not mount when "mount -a" is given (e.g., at boot
               time)

There is no mention of resume time and no distro ever handled it like
that.

> If "auto" does not make it mount automatically on wake for some
> reason, THEN WHAT WILL?  That is the real question here.  Why won't
> it mount on WAKE?  The point is -not- to argue what "auto" means.

Suspend/resume is supposed to minimally interfere with system state. If
the admin unmounted a file system from fstab and does a suspend/resume
cycle it should not get remounted magically.

> The question is about how to make the drive mount on wake.  Do we
> prefer to nit-pick, or to advance the cause?  The goal is to make
> this drive mount on wake, a very common function.

There are certainly friendlier ways to ask for help.

You could Add

"ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/systemctl start foobar.mount" to
systemd-suspend.service or similar. (For that create a .conf drop-in
file in /etc/systemd/system/systemd-suspend.service)

YMMV as network mounts like this usually need to be mounted only after
the network is back up. And there's simply no infrastructure for that in
place right now.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.