[systemd-devel] "No such file or directory" when enabling a service

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 15 16:39:42 PDT 2013

On Thu, 27.06.13 20:14, Lars Kellogg-Stedman (lars at oddbit.com) wrote:

> I'm running systemd 204 under Fedora 19 (beta).  I have
> /etc/systemd/system/postfix-update-hook.service installed as a symlink
> to /etc/postfix/support/postfix-update-hook.service.
>
> I can start it:
>
>     # systemctl start postfix-update-hook
>
> And check the status:
>
>     # systemctl status postfix-update-hook
>     postfix-update-hook.service
>        Loaded: loaded (/etc/postfix/support/postfix-update-hook.service; linked)
>        Active: active (running) since Thu 2013-06-27 19:59:28 UTC; 25s ago
>      Main PID: 19276 (postfix-update-)
>        CGroup: name=systemd:/system/postfix-update-hook.service
>                └─19276 /bin/sh /etc/postfix/support/postfix-update-hook
>
> But I can't enable it:
>
>     # systemctl enable postfix-update-hook
>     Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
>
> If I replace the symlink in /etc/systemd/system with an actual file,
> then it works just fine:
>
>     # cd /etc/systemd/system
>     # mv postfix-update-hook.service postfix-update-hook.service.symlink
>     # cp postfix-update-hook.service.symlink postfix-update-hook.service
>     # systemctl enable postfix-update-hook
>     ln -s '/etc/systemd/system/postfix-update-hook.service' '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/postfix-update-hook.service'
>
> Is this expected behavior?

Yes. "enable" is fir managing the symlinks in /etc really, and it does
so based on the data in unit files themselves. But it won't use the
symlinks to find those units, because that would not be symmetric
anymore so that enable and disable would work be complimentary...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.