[systemd-devel] runtime directories for services vs. tmpfiles

Colin Guthrie colin at mageia.org
Tue Jul 16 09:59:17 PDT 2013

'Twas brillig, and Kay Sievers at 16/07/13 17:24 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>
>> Hmm, I'd like such an automatism, but I'd really prefer if we could come
>> up with some scheme to automatically determine all tmpfiles snippets in
>> the package and apply them all automatically. But I am not sure how that
>> could be done with current RPM.
>>
>> In fact, I'd actually like to do the same for the %systemd_post macros,
>> and suchlike, where people tend to be pretty bad at always listing all
>> unit files correctly.

Actually rereading this bit above, I can see the desire for automated
snippets, but are there not some cases where you would want to avoid
calling %systemd_post macros for some shipped units? e.g. they may only
be used internally by others (Requires=, Also= and similar). I think
such automation might not be good. (just look at the NFS units which I
think we've finally cleaned up a bit in Mageia - enough to actually work
at least).

> Hmm, an rpmlint check for stuff like this maybe is the first step? At
> least people who care and look at that would fix their stuff?

Misc was looking at doing most of that. Not sure what you mean about
naming tho'... do you just mean the folder name (etc vs usr) or just not
picking very nice unit names?

For the folder, I put rpmlint checks in Mageia a while ago to ban units,
tmpfiles and udev rules from shipping in /etc.

And another to do with non-ghost files in /run or /var/run.

I had it in my head that I'd spoken to Misc about this at the time I
wrote them but now I have a paranoid fear that maybe I didn't... They
are simple enough anyway, so if they are not upstream and have instead
been reimplemented then it's no great loss, but apologies if forgot to
ping you at the time Misc (and I've seen you twice in person since then
too!!)

Patches here. Can't check if it's upstream yet as rpmlint.zarb.org is
down for now...

http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/rpmlint/current/SOURCES/

Col

--