[systemd-devel] runtime directories for services vs. tmpfiles

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 14:10:13 PDT 2013

2013/7/16 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek at in.waw.pl>:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 05:08:12PM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:

>> I am not too concerned about unused runtime directories. After all this
>> is not something that would (or even could) grow without bounds. There
>> will never be more than O(n) runtime directores for n being the number
>> of packages you have installed (or had installed).
> Sure, but this n can be around a couple hundred I'd image when debian
> is fully converted and installed. For efficiency this is probably
> unmesurable, but as an admin I'd prefer not to have hundreds of empty
> dirs in /run.

That seems to be misconception: Even when all 1200+ packages currently
shipping SysV init scripts, have native systemd support, this doesn't
mean that all those 1200 packages are actually installed.
I think it's even less of an issue for Debian, as we usually only
install stuff when needed and not in a disabled state.

I expect that a typical desktop installation has around 30 system
services, and I'm pretty sure it's rather uncommon to have more then 5
disabled system services.

universe are pointed away from Earth?