[systemd-devel] Automount behavior

Mickaël THOMAS mickael9 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 19:58:52 PDT 2013

Here are some details.

fstab line :
    LABEL=Data    /data    ext4    nofail,auto    0    1

journalctl -b | grep Data :
    Jul 17 04:24:21 mickael-laptop systemd[1]: Expecting device
dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Data.device...
    Jul 17 04:25:51 mickael-laptop systemd[1]: Job
dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Data.device/start timed out.
    Jul 17 04:25:51 mickael-laptop systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for
device dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Data.device.
    Jul 17 04:25:51 mickael-laptop systemd[1]: Dependency failed for
File System Check on /dev/disk/by-label/Data.

systemctl list-jobs (before timeout) :
    JOB UNIT                                           TYPE  STATE
     11 data.mount                                     start waiting
     12 systemd-fsck at dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Data.service start waiting
     13 dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Data.device               start running

When shutting down, the message "A start job is running for
dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Data.device" shows up and I have to wait for the
timeout to end.

For now, a workaround I found is to change "auto" to "noauto" and
symlink dev-disk-by\\x2dlabel-Data.device.wants/data.mount to
/run/systemd/generator/data.mount
Disabling the file-system check also seems to fix the issue
(discovered that just now)