[systemd-devel] I want to ask you a fundamental question to you about dependency and starting sequence among units.

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 10:25:22 PDT 2013

#1 and #3 are correct, but #2 is not.

Properties like "Wants=" or "Requires=" only define *dependencies* –
if A has "Wants=B", then starting A will also make systemd try to
start B – but they do not define any sort of *order*.

There is a separate set of properties, "After=" and "Before=", that
specify order, but do not add any dependencies. For example, if A has
"After=B", or if B has "Before=A", then they will be started
sequentially (A will be started after B has started). If order is not
specified, both will be started at the same time.

As for the terms... it seems that the general stages are "inactive",
"activating" (in the startup process), "active" (has finished
startup), and "deactivating". I'm not entirely sure what stages apply
to .service units.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>