[systemd-devel] [HEADSUP] cgroup changes

Andy Lutomirski luto at amacapital.net
Tue Jun 25 05:28:26 PDT 2013

On Jun 25, 2013 2:43 AM, "Lennart Poettering" <lennart at poettering.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, 24.06.13 17:09, Andy Lutomirski (luto at amacapital.net) wrote:
>

> > On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Lennart Poettering
> > <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:

> > > systemd uses cgroups to manage services. Managing services means many
> > > things. Among them: keeping track of processes, listing processes of a
> > > service, killing processes of a service, doing per-service logging
> > > (which means reliably, immediately, and race-freely tracing back
> > > messages to the service which logged them), about 55 other things, and
> > > also resource management.
> > >
> > > I don't see how I can do anything of this without something like
> > > cgroups, i.e. hierarchial, resource management involved systemd which
> > > allows me to securely put labels on processes.
> >
> > Boneheaded straw-man proposal: two new syscalls and a few spare
processes.

> > int sys_task_reaper(int tid): Returns the reaper for the task tid
> > (which is 1 if there's no subreaper).  (This could just as easily be a
> > file in /proc.)
> >
> > int sys_killall_under_subreaper(int subreaper, int sig): Broadcasts
> > sig to all tasks under subreaper (excluding subreaper).  Guarantees
> > that, even if those tasks are forking, they all get the signal.
> >
> > Then, when starting a service, systemd forks, sets the child to be a
> > subreaper, then forks that child again to exec the service.
> >
> > Does this do everything that's needed?
>
> No. It doesn't do anything that's needed. How do I list all PIDs in a
> service with this?

Walk /proc/<subreaper>/children recursively.  A kernel patch to make that
field show up unconditionally instead of hiding under EXPERT would help.

> How do I determine the service of a PID?

Call sys_task_reaper, then look up what service that subreaper comes from.

> How do i do
> resource manage with this?

With cgroups, unless the admin has configured systemd not to use cgroups,
in which case you don't.  (The whole point would be to keep
DefaultControllers= without using the one and only cgroup hierarchy.)

--Andy