[systemd-devel] Optimizing systemd binaries for small deployments

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Wed Mar 27 06:09:05 PDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:49:44AM +0100, Tino Breddin wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We are in the process of creating a very small image for devices with a maximum of 4MB flash. Compared to a SysV variant which clocks in at ~1MB using Systemd
> we are currently getting images sizes of ~10MB. At first glance the systemd binaries seem quite large. Before diving into lots of optimization I wanted to ask
> whether anybody has pointers we should follow or even experience using systemd for bare minimum images.

I'm assuming that you're compiling without -g and such. Please
remember that systemd stuff replaces quite a few other binaries,
rather than just /sbin/init, so you should compare that against
the sum of replaced things.

One thing you could try, is the shared library approach. Currently
we use a static convinience library, but it could be changed to
a shared libsystemd-private.so, and more code would be shared.
There was a thread a while back.

Zbyszek