[systemd-devel] How to get "log_debug" from logind?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Mar 29 05:28:31 PDT 2013

On Fri, 29.03.13 11:13, Manuel Reimer (Manuel.Spam at nurfuerspam.de) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to find out why inhibiting the power button doesn't work
> "system wide". As first step, I want to compare debug messages,
> logged by logind.
>
> But unfortunately I don't manage to get them logged to somewhere.
> Enabling debug output for systemd seems to not enable debug output
> for logind. Currently, I use both, the kernel parameter
> "systemd.log_level=debug" and the setting "LogLevel=debug" in
> /etc/systemd/system.conf.

That only enables debug logging for systemd itself, i.e. PID 1.

To enable debug logging for logind, please copy
/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-logind.service to
/etc/systemd/system/systemd-logind.service and then edit it there. Add
"Environment=SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug" to the [Service] section.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.