[systemd-devel] foo.bar.d directory changes

Curtis Shimamoto sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 15:02:56 PDT 2013

Hello systemd people,

I was migrating my modified service files away from ".install" to the new
/etc/systemd/system/foo.bar.d/*.conf setup.  Along the way, I hit a bit
of a snag.

I have a custom target for when I use the CK kernel, as it is not able to
run "systemd --user".  So I have a graphical-ck.target.  So simply as an
initial test before I started making more significant changes, I tried
modifying rtkit-daemon.service.  Looking at the service file, it was
"WantedBy=graphical.target" so I decided to try and add
"WantedBy=graphical-ck.target".  So I made the necessary directory
rtkit-daemon.service.d and made a creatively named "wantedby.conf".

It continued to only install to the graphical.target.wants, so it would
seem that it does not allow for this change to be made in that particular
way.  Since then, I have confirmed that the system works with all my
other non-WantedBy modifications, so my system is not borked otherwise.

On the Arch Linux forums, another user confirmed that this did not work
on their machine either.  Oh and BTW, I am using the systemd 198 from the
Arch repositories.

So just for clarity's sake, this is what I have that will not work:

$ cat /etc/systemd/system/rtkit-daemon.service.d/wantedby.conf
[Install]
WantedBy=graphical-ck.target

Graphical-ck.target is basically an exact copy of the graphical.target,
except that it conflicts with the normal graphical.target.

I guess I should also mention that this functionality works perfectly
fine with ".include".

Also, I noticed that systemd-delta does not reflect the changes made by
/etc/systemd/system/foo.bar.d/*.conf.  Is this an oversight, or a feature
that has yet to be implemented?  It is not a big deal really. but I just
thought I would mention it while I am sending this email.

Thanks for all your great work,
--
Curtis Shimamoto
sugar.and.scruffy [at] gmail.com