[systemd-devel] Need advice on daemon's architecture

Cristian Rodríguez crrodriguez at opensuse.org
Sun Nov 3 06:24:47 PST 2013

El 03/11/13 10:42, Hoyer, Marko (ADITG/SW2) escribió:

> Isn't the classical Linux way an option to?
> - the daemon does its initialization with the calling thread
> - once it is done with the initialization, it forks off a process that goes on with the daemons work (the main loop probably)
> - the calling thread returns, which signals systemd that the daemon is up now
>
> "Type=forking" must be defined in the .service to support this architecture.
>
> Are there any drawbacks with this solution?

Yes, having reviewed dozens of daemons for migration to systemd, I can
assure yours will also be missing something of the required
initialization sequence (see daemon(7) ) or doing it wrong, as the
number of daemons that do this routines correctly is almost non-existent.

For new daemons, please use Type=notify.

--
"Judging by their response, the meanest thing you can do to people on
the Internet is to give them really good software for free". - Anil Dash