[systemd-devel] Make X11 logind session unconditionally active

Ivan Shapovalov intelfx100 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 00:37:43 PST 2013

On Tuesday 05 November 2013 at 03:41:01, Lennart wrote:
> On Tue, 05.11.13 00:51, Ivan Shapovalov (intelfx100 at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm still trying to make my friendship with logind.
> >
> > I have a headless server with Xvnc server running on it. Under the server
> > a logind session is created by the DM.
> > The session has Type=x11, but VTNr=0 since Xvnc does not bind itself to any
> > VT.
> > Hence the session is always Active=no (there is no VT I can switch
> > to).
>
> Nah, that's not how this really should work.
>
> Basically, there are sessions which are assigned to seats and sessions
> which aren't. Seats in this case means local, physical seats. Sessions
> without seats are unconditionally active. Only sessions with seats can
> be inactive. Since an xvnc session is not a local one it should not have
> a seat, and hecnce should alway be active.

> > So the question is: it is possible to mark a session as "always active"
> > or something like that?
>
> Well, that should be the case implicitly if the session is properly
> registered. What does "loginctl show-session" print for this session?
>
> Lennart

Yes, I had the session bound to seat0.
Configuring lightdm to use an empty seat made the session Active=yes.

$ loginctl show-session c37
Id=c37
Timestamp=Вт 2013-11-05 12:22:13 MSK
TimestampMonotonic=59464298414
VTNr=0
Display=localhost:10
Remote=no
Service=lightdm
Scope=session-c37.scope
Leader=25926
Audit=0
Type=x11
Class=user
Active=yes
State=active
IdleHint=no
IdleSinceHint=0
IdleSinceHintMonotonic=0
Name=intelfx

However, this still isn't exactly what I want. Now the session has no seat, so
1. udisks does not allow me to mount removables without authentication;
2. I suppose the dynamic device node permission stuff won't work for me either.

So I want that session to be equivalent to a local one in terms of permissions etc...
Is it somehow possible?

Thanks,

--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /