[systemd-devel] dbus-daemon and kdbus running together

Daniel Mack daniel at zonque.org
Sun Nov 24 05:17:02 PST 2013

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 12:31:17PM +0100, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog wrote:
> If we needed to keep dbus-daemon but take advantages of kdbus, will we be able to run them together?

In theory yes, but it wouldn't make any sense, as dbus-daemon connected
clients wouldn't be able to see kdbus clients, and vice versa.

> To be able to fully compatible with kdbus and be ready to switch when time comes, what needs to be done?

Two things:

1. We need a service that offers a socket for dbus-daemon clients,
eventually taking over the path name of dbus-daemon, so clients don't
need to be changed at all.

That already works with minor modifications to stdio-bridge, which
talks the DBus socket protocol on one side and is kdbus aware on the
other. Messages transfer already works in both directions.

2. We need a bus 'driver' that offers the interface on
org.freedesktop.DBus and translates the commands to kdbus, mostly using
libsystemd-bus as well. That's not yet finished, but work in progress.

> - Have kdbus support for glib applications (work is ongoing with the patch from few days ago) and just (!) update the gdbus to the latest?
> - Replace libdbus with libsystemd-bus on applications and reimplement the bus communication portion of the application?

Both ways are possible and preferred, especially as applications that
go through the legacy socket compat layer won't benefit from many of
the kdbus features.

> - Any work for dbus-glib?

I don't think so, as dbus-glib is legacy.

Daniel