[systemd-devel] lirc package

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 13:23:45 PDT 2013

Thanks for all input!

Anthony Messina
> On Monday, October 14, 2013 02:32:23 PM Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 2. Setting the protocols properly e.g. currently you have
>> ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c 'echo lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols' in the
>> https://github.com/leamas/lirc-pkg/blob/master/lircd.service, but this
>> basically assumes $LIRC_DEVICE=/dev/lirc0 I believe (rc0 in the fixed
>> string). It should also reset it after finishing too such that some
>> other use of it can be made.
> Perhaps with handily crafted udev rules.  Currently, I am using this hammer
> in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/99-remote-control-lirc.rules.  But that's only
> because I don't want other protocols to interfere with MythTV
>
> # Disable all but the "lirc" protocol for infrared devices
> SUBSYSTEM=="rc", ATTR{protocols}="lirc
This is clear as mud to me,  will try to look into it.

> Add 'Also=lircd.service' to [Install] in socket file, so that
> 'systemctl enable lircd' will enable the socket too.
Done.
> /etc/sysconfig is considered deprecated. You use LIRCMD_OPTIONS
> as an additional switch to enable/disable lircmd, which duplicates
> systemctl enable/disable...
Oops. This was basically a stupid default and an even more stupid
comment. Fixed
> [cut]
> +#ifdef HAVE_SYSTEMD
> +        n = sd_listen_fds(0);
> +        if (n > 1) {
> +                fprintf(stderr, "Too many file descriptors received.\n");
>   		goto start_server_failed0;
> -	}
> +                exit(1);
> Isn't this exit(1) dead code?

Indeed, fixed.

Colin Guthrie:
> Hi Alec
> Something else which might be nice is the following:
>
> 1. Change lirc.service to be templated i.e. allow multiple lircd's to be
> run if you have multiple lirc devices plugged in to one machine.
I tend to think that this might make things more complex for a rather
limited usecase. For now,  I have simply documented how to create a new
service in README.fedora. That is not to say this can't  be implemented
in a later release.

Thanks again for all input!

--alec