[systemd-devel] F19 network device naming

Nicholas Majeran nmajeran at suntradingllc.com
Wed Oct 23 21:02:15 CEST 2013

Hello:

I have recently installed Fedora 19 on a Dell R620.
I'm trying to grok the new device naming scheme put forth in systemd, but
the results are a bit confusing.

This box has four onboard ports -- those are all correctly labelled as eno[1-4].
However, when I begin to add in PCIe cards, I don't see what I would expect.

I've installed two PCIe cards:
one two-port Intel e1000e and one two port SolarFlare Performa card.

The e1000e works like I would expect:

[root at s ~]# ethtool -i enp4s0f0
driver: e1000e
version: 2.3.2-k
firmware-version: 5.6-2
bus-info: 0000:04:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no
[root at s ~]# ethtool -i enp4s0f1
driver: e1000e
version: 2.3.2-k
firmware-version: 5.6-2
bus-info: 0000:04:00.1
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

But, the SolarFlare produces an additional "device" along with the additional "function":

[root at sunelkvm6 ~]# ethtool -i enp65s0f0
driver: sfc
version: 3.2
firmware-version: 3.2.2.6124
bus-info: 0000:41:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no
[root at sunelkvm6 ~]# ethtool -i enp65s0f1d1
driver: sfc
version: 3.2
firmware-version: 3.2.2.6124
bus-info: 0000:41:00.1
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

I would expect to see enp65s0f0 and enp65s0f1, like the e1000e.

Also, what constitutes a function and a device?

I've read the decoder ring linked from:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames and I wasn't able to (easily) ascertain that.

Thanks.