[systemd-devel] F19 network device naming

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Thu Oct 24 15:03:48 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Nicholas Majeran
<nmajeran at suntradingllc.com> wrote:
> I have recently installed Fedora 19 on a Dell R620.
> I'm trying to grok the new device naming scheme put forth in systemd, but
> the results are a bit confusing.
>
> This box has four onboard ports -- those are all correctly labelled as eno[1-4].
> However, when I begin to add in PCIe cards, I don't see what I would expect.
>
> I've installed two PCIe cards:
> one two-port Intel e1000e and one two port SolarFlare Performa card.

> [root at sunelkvm6 ~]# ethtool -i enp65s0f0
> driver: sfc
> version: 3.2
> firmware-version: 3.2.2.6124
> bus-info: 0000:41:00.0
> supports-statistics: yes
> supports-test: yes
> supports-eeprom-access: no
> supports-register-dump: yes
> supports-priv-flags: no
> [root at sunelkvm6 ~]# ethtool -i enp65s0f1d1
> driver: sfc
> version: 3.2
> firmware-version: 3.2.2.6124
> bus-info: 0000:41:00.1
> supports-statistics: yes
> supports-test: yes
> supports-eeprom-access: no
> supports-register-dump: yes
> supports-priv-flags: no
>
> I would expect to see enp65s0f0 and enp65s0f1, like the e1000e.

Yeah, that would be right.

I guess someone messed up the kernel driver and exports dev_id == 1
where it needs to be 0.

dev_id in the kernel is supposed to count upwards for netdevs of the
*same* device(pci) parent, not for netdevs from separate devices.

You can check with:
  $ grep . /sys/class/net/*/dev_id

Kay