[systemd-devel] Where did DefaultControllers= option go?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 30 01:04:23 CET 2013

Am 29.10.2013 17:52, schrieb Kay Sievers:
>> None of this explains why systemd no longer applies certain controllers
>> by default. Previously, systemd would attach cpu controllers to each
>> service by default. Now, it only groups your processes in the systemd
>> tree, but does not touch any cgroup controllers.
>>
>> The new default behaviour (or lack thereof) seems like a step back to me.
>
> It's a property of a unit now which cgroup controllers get attached:
>   http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.resource-control.html
>
> The global mirroring across trees makes no sense in the future. The
> several independent trees will go away in the kernel next year, and
> then systemd would not know what to do with an instruction like
> DefaultControllers.

I realized that when I set the CPUShares attribute on any unit, systemd
mirrors the whole cgroup tree into the cpu,cpuacct tree.

However, in the past, it was mirrored regardless of such setting. This
had the benefit that CPU was equally distributed among services, not
among processes. That benefit is now gone if I choose to not configure
any cpu settings.