[systemd-devel] Systemd askpassword

Ismael Bouya ismael.bouya at normalesup.org
Sat Apr 12 13:08:27 PDT 2014

Hi,
I'm facing a problem with systemd and his "askpassword" feature:

I want to add a luks partition, so I need to ask for the password at some
time. However, I don't want to ask for it during the boot sequence, so I
added the "nofail" flag and didn't put any timeout.

Everything goes well, I can start and call the
systemd-tty-ask-password-agent whenever I want to have access to the
encrypted media. However... if I don't call that, then at shutdown the
computer hangs forever with a black screen seemingly waiting for something
(I had to try a few restarts to find out that the hanging comes from here).

What did I miss in the configuration? It also happen if you put a
non-infinite timeout, but then the hanging finished at the
timeout. Basically that means that the "nofail" flag in crypttab cannot be
used reliably.

Thanks in advance for your help!

(Side question: Is there a way to say that systemd-tty-ask-password-agent
can be run by the user and not only by root to mount the disk? If he know
the disk password then he's most probably allowed to mount it...)

--
Ismael