[systemd-devel] Host and machine ids are equal (4c93d957bcf44b289c3e4edb5bd5c355): refusing to link journals

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Apr 28 08:07:52 PDT 2014

On Sat, 26.04.14 15:35, Ruben Kerkhof (ruben at rubenkerkhof.com) wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I was just playing with systemd-nspawn, and noticed that when I start a container in a virtual machine running on KVM,
> it gets the same machine-id as the vm itself, resulting in:
> Host and machine ids are equal (4c93d957bcf44b289c3e4edb5bd5c355): refusing to link journals
>
>  Is this by design, or is this a bug?

How did you create the container tree? Did you copy the host's root into
a subdirectory? Note that you need to make sure that /etc/machine-id is
unique. When you copy the same image into multiple directories you hence
need to regenerate the machine-id.

Alternatively, remove the file in the container, as it will then create
a new machine id on boot automatically, and store in the file.