[systemd-devel] Mount unit using device symlink

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Aug 13 12:21:16 PDT 2014

On Mon, 04.08.14 15:43, Patrick Hemmer (systemd at stormcloud9.net) wrote:

> I'm trying to mount a device using one of its symlinks, but systemd
> errors with "Timed out waiting for device dev-block-ec2-ephemeral0.device"
>
> The unit looks like:
>     [Unit]
>     After=ephemeral0-format.service
>     [Mount]
>     What=/dev/block/ec2/ephemeral0

Ah, heh, sorry that I didn't look at this any closer, now I realize what
is wrong.

/dev/block/ is the a directory that udev manages and places symlinks
from the major:minor to the actual device node. They are mostly useful
to allow easy translating from major/minor into device node. Since
that's not useful to expose in systemd, we actually ignore all device
symlinks beginning with /dev/block.

Long story, short, you shouldn't place any symlinks in /dev/block, it's
udev's territory...

How come this happened? Did some app do that, or was that an admin
decision?