[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 216

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Tue Aug 19 19:25:16 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 02:59:52AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Heya!
>
> This is a major new release. Among many other changes systemd-resolved
> is now a pretty complete caching DNS and LLMNR stub resolver.
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/systemd-216.tar.xz
>
> CHANGES WITH 216:
>
>         * A new tool systemd-journal-upload has been added to push
>           journal data to a remote system running
>           systemd-journal-remote.

The sysusers.d file shipped with this has:

  u systemd-journal-remote        -               "systemd Journal Remote"

But the tmpfiles.d fragment has:

  z /var/log/journal/remote 2755 root systemd-journal-remote - -
  z /run/log/journal/remote 2755 root systemd-journal-remote - -

There's no "systemd-journal-remote" group created...

>         * A new component "systemd-firstboot" has been added that
>           queries the most basic systemd information (timezone,
>           hostname, root password) interactively on first
>           boot. Alternatively it may also be used to provision these
>           things offline on OS images installed into directories.

This tool offers a --setup-machine-id flag, but it has very different
semantics from systemd-machine-id-setup. Both will call sd128_randomize,
but systemd-machine-id-setup will always prefer hardcoded UUIDs passed
into the host. For example, launching a qemu kvm with the -uuid flag
will cause the machine-id to mirror this -- though, this alone can be
problematic[1]

Is this behavior intentional? Does firstboot need to learn the same
rules? Do we just retire systemd-machine-id-setup?

Cheers,