[systemd-devel] start / stop daemon

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Aug 21 09:56:02 PDT 2014

On Wed, 20.08.14 05:36, Bonno Bloksma (b.bloksma at tio.nl) wrote:

> Most daemons will not need this feature and systemd can rely on a
> timeout killing the job if it does not stop within x seconds. But it
> would be good if the start / stop protocol allows for it when a notify
> part is developed.
>
> After all if the system is running on the UPS batteries after a power
> failure and the low battery indicator was used to start a system
> shutdown you want the system to shutdown eventually before the battery
> runs out. ;-)

This all sounds way over-designed to me. With systemd we already apply
timeouts to all service operations. And we have watchdog functionality,
where a service can ping us in regularly intervals, and if he doesn't,
we'll consider it hung, and terminate it.

I am not convinced we need more than that really.