[systemd-devel] serialization bug, swap bug, etc.

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at google.com
Tue Dec 16 17:22:40 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 4:11 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> In fact, I think we should drop the
> libcap dependency altogether and just do the two syscalls it offers to
> us natively in systemd code. Neither is libcap a particularly nice
> library, nor is the stuff it does particularly complex, hence we can
> as well wrap the two calls we need in our code.

I started looking at this and I just sent a patch set to remove the
include of <sys/capability.h> where it was not really in use.

Regarding the valid uses of libcap, it looks like the non-trivial part
is cap_to_text/cap_from_text which we would have to reimplement and
possibly keep them in sync with libcap.

libcap also tries to support kernels which only support 32-bit
capabilities. If we replace that code, should we make an assumption of
64-bit capabilities and just use a uint64_t to represent the bits?

Let me know if you think this is something worth doing and I can
contribute an implementation.

Cheers,
Filipe