[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] It's release time!

Jan Janssen medhefgo at web.de
Tue Feb 18 05:53:08 PST 2014

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Februar 2014 um 13:33 Uhr
> Von: "Tom Gundersen" <teg at jklm.no>
> An: "Jan Janssen" <medhefgo at web.de>
> Betreff: Re: [systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] It's release time!
>
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Jan Janssen <medhefgo at web.de> wrote:
> > the *.link files for networkd completely lack documentation.
>
> They are documented in udev(8). Let me know if anything is unclear or lacking.

Ah, thanks. This really needs a proper mention/link in systemd-networkd manpage
or put there instead, the inexpressive udev(7) reference at the end is not enough.
When poeple are reading up on networkd, they will not expect this information to be
in the udev manpage, even though the implementation of this is (rightfully) located
in udev.

> > And in general,
> > I would say that networkd could benefit from a more detailed man page before
> > this gets released.
>
> Anything in particular you feel is unclear or lacking (I'm going
> through it now anyway, but more input is always better)?

Nothing in particular. From reading it - and now that I know out about the .link files -
I (and others in general) would be able to use it for my purposes right away. I was more
thinking on the lines of a condensed down version of your G+ posts on networkd in its
manpage. Mainly how it is supposed to work (the big picture), how it interacts with
NetworkManager et.al., and also what it currently does not provide/is lacking. And maybe
some examples on different set ups, since those are always nice in a manpage to know
that you're not doing it wrongly and give you a warm fuzzy feeling :D

Jan