[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 210

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Tue Feb 25 07:32:52 PST 2014

On Monday 2014-02-24 23:08, Lennart Poettering wrote:

>CHANGES WITH 210:
>
>        * logind is now a lot more aggressive when suspending the
>          machine due to a closed laptop lid. Instead of acting only
>          on the lid close action it will continuously watch the lid
>          status and act on it. This is useful for laptops where the
>          power button is on the outside of the chassis so that it can
>          be reached without opening the lid (such as the Lenovo
>          Yoga). On those machines logind will now immediately
>          re-suspend the machine if the power button has been
>          accidentally pressed while the laptop was suspended and in a
>          backpack or similar.

Interesting. I have some medium-aged Sony VPCM11M1E which too has a
power button (more like a *slider*) that could be said to be prone to
activation; however, the machine will not react to the slider or keypress
while the lid is closed, which is a good thing.

Am I correct in the assumption that your Yoga machines are not
as "smart" and thus desired this change? :)

>	Also note that this
>          logic is usually not fully sufficient and Desktop
>          Environments should take a lid switch inhibitor lock when an
>          external display is connected, as systemd will not watch
>          this on its own.

Does logind handle the case of {textconsole environment with
external display and usbkbd}?