[systemd-devel] systemd version debus call changed

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Feb 27 17:28:20 PST 2014

On Fri, 28.02.14 02:21, Timothée Ravier (siosm99 at gmail.com) wrote:

> On 26/02/2014 02:38, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Wed, 26.02.14 02:01, Jason A. Donenfeld (Jason at zx2c4.com) wrote:
> >> Upstream KDE patch is here:
> >> https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kde-workspace/repository/revisions/7584a63924620bac3bd87277c11cdb8cdb5018b1/diff/powerdevil/daemon/backends/upower/powerdevilupowerbackend.cpp?format=diff
> >
> > Wow. Just wow. I am feeling tempted to just randomly change the version
> > string exposed on the bus now, until they give that up. Whate else can I
> > do than actually document that the string isn't stable?
>
> > It is totally non-sensical to check for software versions the way KDE
> > does it. We supply them with a call to check whether a certain operation
> > is available (CanSuspend(), CanHibernate(), ...). They should just call
> > that. It will tell them precisely whether the operation is not
> > implemented in the code, or whether it is available on the hardware, and
> > so on. But no, they decided to involve version checks...
>
> It looks like they check both systemd version and CanSuspend(),
> CanHibernate() results:
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kde-workspace/repository/revisions/master/entry/powerdevil/daemon/backends/upower/powerdevilupowerbackend.cpp#L229
>
> Could it be for compatibility with older systemd releases?

They should just invoke the methods. If they get
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod,
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownObject or
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownInterface back they should assume that
logind is too old and doesn't support the call. (Actually, to make this
really robust, they should just treat any error like that).

Check for features by trying to make use of them. Don't check for
version numbers.