[systemd-devel] systemctl reboot/shutdown freezes client

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jan 15 07:50:15 PST 2014

Am 15.01.2014 16:47, schrieb Reindl Harald:
> Am 15.01.2014 16:37, schrieb Holger Schurig:
>> Try "systemctl --force reboot". The --force will kill the processes,
>> which (for me) closes the incoming ssh session
>
> that indeed works
>
> interesting question: what has changed in the latest systemd-releases
> because this behavior is new and what negative impact may the --force
> switch have because it's not the default

ok, answered by reading the manpage

--force is nothing you want on a production server only because
a behavior change in sshd due shutdown / reboot

If combined with --force, shutdown of all running services is skipped,
however all processes are killed and all file systems are unmounted or
mounted read-only, immediately followed by the reboot.