[systemd-devel] consider renaming "-.slice"

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Thu Jan 16 01:55:35 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Holger Schurig <holgerschurig at gmail.com> wrote:
> systemd-journalctl and systemd-systemctl were also renamed to get more
> convenient ...

Symlinks are cheap to create, if compat for these rather exotic things
is needed.
systemctl was always systemctl, but loginctl we also have renamed.

> (But hey, I don't really know what external stuff uses "-.slice" and
> "-.mount" ...)

The problem is that "/" is escaped as "'-", and root is therefore just
"-". We would need to change all mount unit names, which all have "-"
for the "/" in it:
  home-kay-data.mount
  run-user-2702-gvfs.mount
  sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount

Unlike the name for a rather optional binary, renaming that would
cause a lot of things to break.

Kay