[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 215

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jul 8 11:29:20 PDT 2014

On Tue, 08.07.14 16:41, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog (umut at tezduyar.com) wrote:

> >         * systemd-coredump may now optionally store coredumps directly
> >           on disk (in /var/lib/systemd/coredump, possibly compressed),
> >           instead of storing them unconditionally in the journal. This
> >           mode is the new default. A new configuration file
> >           /etc/systemd/coredump.conf has been added to configure this
> >           and other parameters of systemd-coredump.
>
> Are there any thoughts about natively sending coredumps over network?
> I guess it is possible now by mounting /var/lib/systemd/coredump to a
> network drive but dumps occuring before network is up need to be
> transferred too.
>
> Capacity of an embedded product might not be enough to store multiple dumps.

I'd enjoy if we have some component that usees the journal remote stuff
to POST all log messages of level LOG_CRIT and above to some server or
so, and then coredumps would just be payload for that.

This would of course then mean to store the coredumps in the journal
itself. Which is not the default anymore. To make this scheme more
useful we should probably extend the local logging protocol of the
journal to allow sending over compressed blobs which are stored as is in
the journal. THis way, it wouldn't be journald that potentially
compresses huge blobs, but the coredump hook.