[systemd-devel] sysusers and login.defs checks

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jul 20 14:31:52 PDT 2014

Hi,

We're still using 500 as our [UG]ID_MIN in /etc/login.defs, but I'm
looking to change that to be more in line with what everyone else seems
to do.

One thing I found while looking at the sysusers code was that the only
values read from /etc/login.defs were SYSTEM_[UG]ID_MAX and they were
only read a compile (or rather configure) time, not at runtime.

While I appreciate sysusers is intended primarily for bootstrapping
/etc, I guess the general consensus is to move package pre/post scripts
over to use sysusers instead anyway. Thus the tool should really check
/etc/login.defs at runtime if it's present before falling back to its
defaults. Those defaults could be set from a compile time check of
login.defs too.

So, I propose the following:

1. Modify configure to check /etc/login.defs for SYSTEM_[UG]ID_MAX but
fall back to [UG]ID_MIN-1 if not found.
2. Modify sysusers.c to do the same check at runtime

If I cook up a patch will that be accepted?

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie