[systemd-devel] sysusers and login.defs checks

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jul 23 04:49:23 PDT 2014

Kay Sievers wrote on 23/07/14 12:36:
> I don't see the rather artificially constructed case of an
> /usr/share/factory/etc/login.defs + tmpfiles snippet to copy to /etc
> as a valid argument for reading login.defs.

Well, my point was that one of Lennart's original arguments for NOT
reading login.defs was that /etc/ wouldn't have it when bootstrapping.

But as you've just confirmed if you *are* bootstrapping /etc, then using
the compiled in defaults makes sense as you are very unlikely to be
copying across a factory version of login.defs anyway. My point was that
if you WERE copying across of a factory version of login.defs it should
really be setup with the same defaults that systemd has compiled in anyway.

So again, this is just furthering the argument that we *should* read
/etc/login.defs at runtime and the "bootstrapping" argument for not
doing so is not really valid.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie