[systemd-devel] Changing configurations with networkd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Jul 25 02:18:03 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Brendan Hide
<brendan at swiftspirit.co.za> wrote:
> On 24/07/14 14:05, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> ... you already are getting
>>>
>>> assigned the correct IP address at first, and then only later does
>>> this change. What is causing your DHCP server to send out a different
>>> IP address later on, I don't know, but it seems unlikely that this is
>>> anything we can fix in the client.
>>
>> I have my doubts as well here. Seems like a misconfigured DHCP server.
>

> I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse - on the other hand it is twitching
> just that little bit more than I'm comfortable with. ;)
>
> Since Michael specified that he has configured the DHCP lease to last only
> 10 minutes, it stands to reason that he is getting the new *different* IP
> address after ten minutes. This time period is highly unusual - but for
> testing purposes appropriate. So far there is nothing to suggest that the
> DHCP server is doing anything wrong.
>
> Michael, can you confirm the above?

All that is fine, and it is within the spec for the DHCP server to
send out a different IP address. However, most DHCP servers will send
you the same one you are already using, and if that is the desired
behaviour that is something that should be configured in the DHCP
server (and nothing the client can do anything about).

I now pushed a change to our default sysctl file, so transitioning
between IPs should now work.

Thanks!

Tom