[systemd-devel] Restart best practices

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 02:48:52 PDT 2014

> I think it would make sense to recommend that packagers and upstream
> packages adopt Restart=on-failure or Restart=on-abnormal (where the
> former is not appropriate) for all long-running daemons. However, this
> recommendation should be taken with a grain of salt, as for some
> services it might be a bad choice to just tape over problems and
> restarting it again on failure... Hence, this is really not something to
> blindly apply to all services on the world, but just a recommendation
> that individually should be considered.

We already have units in the wild upstream where the internet has
effectively spread ignorance once again which contain "Restart=Always"
when they should not so I would think it would be better send the signal
to upstream not to set these settings et all but rather expected
downstream distribution to set this based on their own policy so those
downstream distribution can provide consistent end user expectation for
their administrative user base.

JBG