[systemd-devel] Systemd-networkd, default route and multiple interfaces

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Fri Jun 6 07:52:13 PDT 2014

Hi,

On 06/06, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 15:43:21 +0200
> From: Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>
> To: Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [systemd-devel] Systemd-networkd, default route and multiple
>  interfaces
>
> On Wed, 04.06.14 00:29, Mantas Mikulėnas (grawity at gmail.com) wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Lennart Poettering
> > <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:

> > > Windows initializes the route metric value for each route from the
> > > "speed" of the interface. If there are multiple links and for one we
> > > know it's a gigabit ethernet link, and the other is a 54mbit wlan link,
> > > then the former would automatically get preference... it's a bit black
> > > magic, but kinda cool black magic i think...
> > >
> > > that said, i am not sure we even have a sane API to determine the speed
> > > of links... maybe ethtool reports it at least for wired ethernet? but
> > > for wlan?
> >
> > Both `iwconfig <dev>` and `iw <dev> link` report the link speed (one
> > using the old wext and the other nl80211, I think?).
> >
> > No idea about all the other link types that Linux supports though.
>
> As long as we'd only have to check ethtool for wired ethernet and the
> wireless stack for wireless ethernet and can cover 70% of all devices
> with that, this sounds like the right thing to do for me...

Note, however, that wlan link speed can fluctuate in time. At least that's what
happens with eduroam at our university (mostly cisco APs).

Also, when comparing wlan and eth link speeds, does one take into account the
different overheads due to frames, encryption, etc., or just compare bare
speeds?

Cheers,
Leonid.
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4