[systemd-devel] systemd-213: regression with zram

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Mon Jun 9 07:11:42 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Alexander E. Patrakov
<patrakov at gmail.com> wrote:
> 09.06.2014 19:26, Kai Krakow wrote:
>>
>> Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at gmail.com> schrieb:
>>
>>> I have upgraded systemd from 212 to 213 on two my Gentoo boxes, and see
>>> the same regression here: zram swap space does not get activated. It
>>> looks like systemd tries to activate swap before the RUN+=mkswap part of
>>> the udev rule finishes.
>>>
>>> Here are the relevant lines from my configuration files. Are they indeed
>>> supposed to work, or were working only by pure luck?
>>

>> I switched to zswap because of this. This also looks more appropriate for
>> my
>> workload. Maybe that's an option? At least if you do have a physical swap
>> device (and in that cased I'd prefer zswap over zram).
>
> Please don't persuade me to hide or tolerate bugs. Even if zswap is more
> appropriate, I would like to get a comment on my zram issue from systemd
> maintainers.

I don't know of anybody working on systemd, using this
horrible-to-configure facility.

I have no idea how stuff should work, but it *might* need some
ENV{SYSTEMD_READY}="0" fiddling.

Module parameters to configure devices, sysfs attributes to
re-configure pre-created "dead devices", ...; given the fact, that it
is relatively recent technology, such terribly outdated and
have-always-been-broken concepts should never have been merged into
the kernel.

Kay