[systemd-devel] systemd-network-wait-online symlinks to systemd-networkd

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jun 9 08:31:41 PDT 2014

'Twas brillig, and Dave Reisner at 09/06/14 15:08 did gyre and gimble:

>> > I believe the aim here is to make "./autogen.sh c && make && sudo make
>> > install" give the "recommended" installation. I suppose one
>> > alternative would be to ship some preset instead (and hook into that
>> > from make install) which should be simpler to drop from the package?
> Well, hooking into 'make install' doesn't really change the end result
> if there's no way to disable the hook. I strongly believe that the
> overbearing majority of systemd users are installing systemd from their
> distro's package manager, and not 'make install'. Since writes to /etc
> in this case are likely discouraged (as they override the site admin),
> it'd be really nice to separate out these additions somehow.

I don't necessarily disagree with the above comment but in terms of raw
numbers, how many systemd packagers are there vs. how many users wanting
to run it from their own build from source?

If there are more of the latter then the fact that it works OOTB for
them, while pushing a little bit of overhead onto the packagers seems
the correct behaviour... If, however, there are more packagers, than
catering to them seems more correct.

Kinda hard to tell the numbers but the point I wanted to make is that
you shouldn't consider the number of people installing systemd from
packages as this number is sort of irrelevant if the packager is doing
their job right regardless of the OOTB behaviour.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie