[systemd-devel] How to quiet cron sessions logging with systemd-212?

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Mon Jun 9 13:32:48 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 09:19:20PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> [...]
>
> on our production infrastrcuture these messages would be
> *a lot* more than all other logs summarized
>
> *and* they are spitted to /var/log/messages to make things worst
>
> > But why can't you write a syslog filter which uses facility as well as program
> > name? So if you believe that systemd-generated messages are useless, drop them
>
> because you *can not* distinguish between *that* user messages
> and system message sbecause they have systemd as program name
> common, the PID changes and you don't want to drop *system
> messages* from systemd

So, systemd starts certain things on _any_ user "login": be it a real user, or
a daemon. However, if you already have logs from the daemon (cron) or a login
program (login), why keep systemd-generated messages? I'd put them in a
separate file...

> if they would contain a unique string / prefix to distinguish

Do you have something concrete in mind?

> from cronjobs triggered messages i would have written a rsyslog
> filter as for a lot of other noise long ago
>
> however - the *large amount* of that messages even if you
> drop them consumes useless ressources on virtualization
> clusters and blow up the systemd-journal

If resources are an issue, don't use the journal. In my experience, it consumes
~4x space compared to syslog (on a firewall machine, after 2 months uptime)...

--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4